HISTORY OF ALL SAINTS’ PARISH RHAWNHURST
On June 1, 1949, the Rt. Rev. Oliver Hart, D.D., Bishop of the Diocese, approved the decision to merge Ascension Mission Rhawnhurst with All Saints’ Moyamensing. The new church was incorporated under the corporate name of All Saints’ Parish Rhawnhurst.
The Rev. Arthur I.M. Worthey, Rector of All Saints’ Moyamensing became the first rector of All Saints’ Parish Rhawnhurst. Plans were made to complete the church building and to build a rectory adjoining the church and the corner stone was laid on December 3, 1950. Rev. Worthey continued as rector until May 1, 1957, when he left to accept a call from St. Paul’s Church in Huntington, CT. In October of 1957, Rev. Edward B. Pollanick accepted the call to All Saints’. He was instituted by Bishop Hart appropriately on All Saints’ Day on November 1, 1957. At that time there were 249 communicants, which Rev. Pollanick increased to 421 during his stay at All Saints’.
The magnificent stained glass window behind the altar, which was referred to as the Bishop White Window in memory of the first Bishop of the Diocese of PA., this window was acquired from St. James Church at 22nd and Walnut when the church was demolished. Because of the size of the window, only the center portion was installed. At a later date, the rest of the window was installed in the rear of the church.
In 1963, All Saints’ celebrated its 125th anniversary. As the years passed, Rev. Pollanick accepted a call to All Saint’s Church, Norristown in 1970 and ultimately passed away from cancer. In 1971, Rev. Meredith Calvert accepted the call to come to All Saints’ where he remained for thirteen years until his retirement.
Many changes have taken place over the years, especially during the twenty-three years that Father Otto Lolk was the rector. The Rev. Otto Lolk accepted the call to come to All Saints’ in 1985, where he stayed for twenty-three years until his retirement in 2008. Upon his retirement, All Saints’ searched for a new priest on a part-time basis as our numbers have dwindled. In May of 2012, we were blessed with the Rev. Dr. Timothy Griffin, who we share with the Memorial Church of St. Luke’s Bustleton. We are now in a refurbishing phase as we celebrate our 175th anniversary. As stated in 1963 by Rev. Pollanick, we are looking upward for our strength and “looking unto Jesus the author and founder of our faith”!